The question is, what to do with it all. Well some of the blackcurrants I have made into blackcurrant juice to drink which ends up tasting remarkably similar to a well known brand you find in the shops. It is quite high in sugar, but you do need to dilute it quite a lot to drink it, and it is also high in vitamin C. This is how I make it:
- Wash the blackcurrants and place in a pan with 300ml of water to every 500ml of fruit.
- Bring to the boil and boil for one minute only.
- Remove from the heat and drain through a fine sieve or some muslin catching the juice in another pan or container.
- Measure the juice and add 300g of sugar to each 500ml of juice. Stir until dissolved.
- To drink you will need to dilute according to your own particular taste.
- If you want to freeze the juice, simply put into containers allowing 2.5cm headspace. You can keep frozen for up to a year.